Speaking is a work done by the brain through the use of the mouth compartment. Speaking is aided by a lot of other parts of the body but the essential truth is- it is done by the functionality of the brain, the mind and Personality.
A lot can be communicated by speaking. More can be communicated by acting but if can act as you speak, oh, what a wonderful combinative method of communication.
Whatever brought you here I want to believe is related to communicating better on a personal level. Speaking is unlike writing where you write to a person without having to be in physical contact with them but speaking involves at least listening to the person's voice and talking back to them. A good example will be when you make a call.
Speaking on the larger level involves speaking to a group of people who listens to you and respond through show of face or signals. When you speak either as a Motivational Speaker or as a stand up comedian, or a Guest speaker at some events, you only speak to arouse response- this is what we call e-motions, simply to me, they are expressive motions.
The art of speaking is one that is delicate whether it's to your friend or to your enemy, to familiar faces or strangers. Speaking can speak volumes about your personality. In fact, what you say can be used against you even in a court of law.
Human beings have languages in which they speak and communicate and that is one of the special features of Humans. Being a better communicator involves you being a better "human". Understanding how humans react to spoken words will go a long way in helping you Speak better.
Now, there are a lot of ways to be a better speaker, I'll be listing them below and I'll like if you can jot them down and "Mind" them as I go.
Ways to improve your Speaking skills.
1. Actions speak louder than words: I'm sure you're familiar with the saying, but I dare add to it today- Actions speak louder than words but you don't necessarily have to shout all the time- you just need to "say" for effect. There have been cases especially in relationships where people have made the mistake of acting more and saying less. Understand the fact that people can clearly remember what you said and hold you for it better than hold you for what you did. I can hold the fact that you Said "I love you" rather than you buying a gift, showing some care and other stuffs. Say it!
2. Use Actions more!: hmmm, am I not contradictory here? No, speak, but to make more effect, say it aloud by acting it out. If you say "stop" in a gentle voice or manner- you probably don't even mean it. But when you say stop with a good slap- he'll understand you better.
3. Say less- our problems may actually be that of saying too much. Speaking versus Effect curve as I have noticed is a curve like that of a Quadratic equation. At the beginning, the more you say, the more the effect, but it gets to a point where you need to stop because the more you say, the less effect. Learn how to understand that and you're a better communicator when you know when to stop.
I'll put that to practice now, I'll say less and leave the rest to your right mind.
4. Pause and wait for Response in every conversation. Don't be in a haste to pour all you've got to say into a person's brain, a lot will fall off the drain.
5. Add emotions- express your motions while saying. The reciever connects better.
6. Tell stories. If you don't know any, know your own.
7. Add Humor. And be particularly careful of how much of it you throw. It can mar your message if used wrongly.
8. Maintain eye contact whenever possible. The eyes have a way of communication that is superb. You can know when a person is about asking a question, getting what you're saying or not all by seeing though the eyes.
9. Make points and refer to them again. Repetition have a way of making it stick. Hammering more makes it get deeper.
10. Know when to and when not to Speak. The best speech at the worst time is a bad communicator.
I'm sure you've gained one or two things. Let me know if I'm wrong or if you've got more to add to Speaking Better.